Are you experiencing back, neck and shoulder pain while lifting heavy objects, playing sports or just doing your regular household chores? If so, and you’re a woman, it could be due to your breasts. If they’re overly large, they could be causing discomfort in various ways, but worse, leaving them as they are, could result in more serious pain. To help combat this problem, more women are undergoing a surgical procedure referred to as a breast reduction.
According to a study published in the American Society of Plastic Surgeons official medical journal, women who had breast reduction surgery before they were 25 years old report experiencing lasting advantages up to 30 years after their procedure.
What is a Breast Reduction?
A breast reduction procedure is a plastic surgery procedure where Dr. Sieber, a San Francisco plastic surgeon removes excess breast tissue, fat and skin to reduce your breast size. Women with very heavy and large breasts cope with various physical limitations. They also struggle with everyday problems like:
- Self-esteem concerns people may be staring at them
- Finding the right clothing
- Aesthetically dreaming of just wanting more proportionate and smaller breasts.
Seriously large breasts could also lead to underlying health concerns like breathing problems, poor circulation and poor posture.
Are You a Good Candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery?
There are a few reasons why you’d want to receive a breast reduction. Women don’t just decide on this for aesthetic reasons only. Bigger breasts are heavy in mass and volume and could cause shoulder and neck pain, along with poor posture and headaches.
There are also dermatological problems due to severe breast sag, such as indentations (groves) on the shoulders, because of bra straps and chafing skin under breasts. Plus, because large breasts sit on your lungs of your chest cavity, they could inhibit lung capacity, making it harder to breathe sometimes.
Just performing everyday activities like putting on your seatbelt, running or attempting to sleep on your stomach could all be difficult because of large breasts. Not being able to exercise properly can cause weight gain. Some women who have very large breasts find it uncomfortable and even embarrassing to even attempt a little exercise.
How Can a Breast Reduction Improve Your Life?
There are various reasons why a breast reduction can improve your life, including:
- A balanced figure. Just because big breasts naturally occur, doesn’t mean they will look natural. Extra big breasts can make you look like you have an off-balance figure, disproportionate and top-heavy. Breast reduction can enhance your overall body shape by producing a more natural-looking, balanced ratio between your breasts and hips. However, breasts aren’t natural identical in size or shape and each woman experiences some level of asymmetry. But, when your breasts are too big, this asymmetry is more drastically pronounced. Breast reduction not only modifies the overall shape and size of your breasts, but also enhances symmetry.
- Fewer back, neck and posture issues. Too large breasts can be a huge issue for your body’s skeletal and muscular systems and throw things off balance. This can cause ongoing pain and discomfort. A breast reduction procedure can help alleviate the weight your back and neck require to support each day, eliminating the linked pain of bra straps and body aches. Your posture will improve when you don’t have this added weight and your whole body will feel more comfortable and lighter.
- Enhancements in appearance. Big breasts can frequently seem out of proportion with your body and can cause other problems, such as sagging. A breast reduction could bring your breasts back in proportion with the remainder of your body which could lead to better aesthetics.
- Improved confidence. Many women with extremely large breasts lack confidence and are self-conscious about this particular part of their bodies. They spend lots of time obsessing about obtaining the proper coverage and support for this area. A breast reduction will help you stop this unneeded worry so you can get on with your life.
- Emotional wellness. Women with bigger breasts than normal for the shape of their body often suffer from low self-esteem. This could lead to unwanted sexual attention. A breast reduction procedure can restore adequate proportion to their bodies. When you don’t look overweight anymore, you feel more confident.
- Exercise is simpler. Having large breasts makes it difficult to exercise and sometimes awkward. Plus, balancing is almost impossible. Breast reduction can help make working out more comfortable.
- Alleviation of some skin problems. Since huge breasts press against your skin and are usually constricted by a too-tight bra, it could lead to rashes and skin irritation which can become a constant issue, particularly in the summer’s heat. After a breast reduction procedure, many women are happy to see their rashes clearing up.
When performed properly, breast reduction usually doesn’t lead to any permanent numbness or reduce nipple sensation. You will have scars following your surgery, but they’re usually hidden in areas your bra covers. Women tend to be more satisfied with their emotional and physical well-being and appearance after surgery.
Visit Sieber Plastic Surgery
To learn more about breast reduction with Dr. Sieber, San Francisco’s Cosmetic Surgeon, give us a call at 415-915-9000 or you can schedule your consultation here.