San Francisco Laser Skin Resurfacing
Years of sun exposure can leave your skin looking dull with fine lines, wrinkles and sun spots that just don’t seem to get better no matter what you try. Laser skin resurfacing treats the entire spectrum of sun damaged skin from a light touch up that will improve your skin’s natural texture to a deep total resurfacing that will leave you with a more youthful and brilliant glow.*
Dr. David Sieber has advanced training in the latest laser technologies and understands the unique improvements that each can deliver. During your initial consultation, Dr. Sieber will analyze your skin, and recommend a customized laser skin resurfacing treatment plan to best suit your individual needs.
Laser skin resurfacing can improve:*
- Customizable treatments to precisely target skin damage
- Improvement in the appearance of tone, texture, fine and coarse lines, and wrinkles
- Reduces pore size and increase reflectivity and glow
- Flexibility in treatment levels and downtime
- Fine lines
- Tone & texture
Contour TRL can improve:
- Fine lines
- Deep wrinkles, including those around the lips and eyes
- Deep sun damage
- Poor skin texture
- Length: 15-90 minutes
- Anesthesia: Topical, local, or general
- Inpt/Outpt: In office or outpatient
- Side effects: redness, burning sensation, peeling
- Recovery: 1-14 days depending on type and depth of treatment
Laser Skin Resurfacing Technique
Most laser skin resurfacing procedures can be performed in an office setting. However, if your skin requires deep resurfacing, Dr. Sieber may recommend that you do so under general anesthesia for improved comfort.
Preparing for Laser Skin Resurfacing
If BBL laser is to be done then you will want to refrain from any excessive sun exposure or sunless tanning products for at least 7-10 days prior to your procedure. If you are on a topical vitamin A product such as Retin-A, Tretinoin, or Tazorac, these need be stopped 7 days prior to your laser procedure.
Recovery from Laser Skin Resurfacing
For lighter procedures such as a Nanopeel, your skin will be red for about 24 hours. For a deep treatment such as a Microlaser peel, the degree of redness and peeling will depend on the depth of the treatment, but can range from 1-7 days. A deep resurfacing procedure will yield the greatest possible improvement in skin quality, but may require 7-14 days of downtime.*
Q: What will happen during the procedure?
A: The treatment area is cleaned and your eyes are protected with safety shields. Dr. Sieber then positions the laser over the skin while a computer-guided scanner moves the laser beam over the designated treatment areas. The procedure usually lasts 15 to 60 minutes depending on the size of the area being treated.
Q: Will it be uncomfortable?
A: The level of comfort varies from patient to patient depending largely on the depth of the treatment. For shallow treatments, the procedure is well tolerated with the use of a topical anesthetic. For deeper treatments, Dr. Sieber may administer a local anesthetic or perform the procedure under general anesthesia.
Q: How long will it take to recover?
A: Complete healing depends largely on the depth of the treatment. Healing times for shallow treatments are typically 2-4 days.* For deeper treatments, you should discuss realistic expectations for recovery with Dr. Sieber, but it will typically take 1-2 weeks for a complete recovery.* You may experience some degree of pinkness to your skin for up to 3-6 months after treatment.*
Q: What aftercare do I need?
A: You may be given skin care products and instructions on how to use them. Your skin will be sensitive to ultra-violet light after the procedure so you will need to do the following:
- Avoid direct sun exposure until fully healed
- Always use some level of sun protection to avoid sun damage and premature aging of your skin
- For at least 2 months post-laser treatment or series, use skin protection containing a high percentage of zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. This acts as a physical barrier to the sun’s damaging rays. After this early healing period, wear a daily sunscreen with both UVA and UVB spectrum protection.
- Give your skin protection from the sun using sunglasses, wide-brimmed sun hats, and cover-up clothing to protect shoulders and chest.
- Adopt an effective daily anti-aging home skin care routine. Dr. Sieber or his staff can recommend which skin care products would best fit your needs.
*Disclaimer: Results may vary from person to person. Editorial content, before and after images, and patient testimonials do not constitute a guarantee of specific results.