Even athletes and those who are otherwise fit and healthy can struggle with areas of stubborn fat. For these individuals, high definition liposuction can remove excess fat cells and reveal a chiseled, muscular physique beneath.
Overall, recovery from this procedure is fairly quick and relatively painless. Total recovery time for high definition liposuction varies from patient to patient.
The majority of patients require at least one week off from work, but your high definition liposuction recovery time may be longer or shorter than this. Below, we’ve provided an overview of what you can expect during your high definition liposuction recovery.
HD Liposuction Recovery: What to Expect After Surgery
Taking care of yourself and following your surgeon’s recovery protocol is critical after high definition liposuction. You will need to take one to two weeks off from school or work. This amount of time differs based on the number of areas where you have liposuction performed, whether or not you opt for additional procedures, and what the state of your overall health is.
Dr. Sieber will advise you to refrain from exercise and other activities for several weeks. Do not push yourself too hard, or you risk compromising your health and your results.
It’s also best to plan ahead in terms of self-care. Prior to surgery, be sure your home is stocked with healthy meals, snacks, plenty of water, and a comfortable place to rest and sleep. Have all you’ll need ready and at-hand, including care arrangements for children and/or pets. It may even be possible to pick up any prescriptions ahead of time so that you have them at home when you arrive.
Recovery From High Definition Liposuction
Right after your surgical procedure and at the beginning of your high def liposuction recovery, you will be placed into a compression garment, and drains will be put under this garment to prevent fluid buildup and reduce the likelihood of a seroma. Typical symptoms at this time will include overall discomfort and pain, bruising, and, of course, swelling.
As for your compression garment, you will need to wear this article for 24 hours a day for the first approximately four weeks post-surgery. From there, most patients can switch to wearing their garments part-time (usually for 12 hours a day) for about eight weeks. Of course, it’s okay to remove your garment to shower, but otherwise, it should be worn as directed.
Starting the day after HD lipo surgery, regular lymphatic massage performed by a licensed therapist can help drain the lymphatics. This, in turn, will help optimize your results and smooth out any unevenness. When lymphatic massage (or ultrasound-assisted massage) is not utilized, sometimes, lumps, bumps, or fibrosis may become a problem.
When Will I See My Results?
Swelling is a symptom all patients should expect after surgery. Most patients experience major swelling in the few days directly following surgery. Then, once major swelling subsides at around the one- to two-week mark, high definition liposuction results typically become visible.
Keep in mind, however, that even after swelling dissipates, you will still have some residual inflammation. This will take a while to disappear — sometimes, up to a few months.
Maximizing Your High Definition Liposuction Results
Do the following to ensure proper healing and optimal results after hi def liposuction.
- Get plenty of rest. As with traditional liposuction, while you recover from your high definition liposuction procedure, you must ensure you are getting adequate sleep and rest. Returning to work, daily activities, or exercise too soon may compromise your results and can even put your health at risk.
- Wear your compression garments. Don’t avoid wearing the special garments you are given after surgery. Proper use of these garments will ensure your fat removal procedure is effective and lasts for years to come. It will also reduce swelling and make you generally more comfortable after surgery.
- Consume a healthy diet. Healing and recovery will go faster after any liposuction procedure when you give your body the fuel it needs. Focus on protein both before and after your surgery. Fill in the rest of your meals and snacks with plenty of fresh veggies and fruits, whole grains, and healthy fats.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, and excess sodium. Your surgeon will go over this more in detail at your consultation appointment, but smoking and consuming alcohol can actually put you at risk during and after your surgery. Consuming excess sodium will add to your fluid buildup and prolong swelling.
- Drink plenty of water. Believe it or not, more water will actually help reduce fluid buildup by flushing out fluids, ultimately reducing swelling overall.
- Maintain a steady weight. After your high definition liposuction procedure removes unwanted fat cells, ensure your weight does not fluctuate drastically. Significant weight loss or gaining any amount of weight after liposuction surgery may alter your remaining fat cells and ultimately lessen your results.
Book Your HD Liposuction Consultation
Interest in high definition liposuction has been increasing in recent years. While traditional liposuction remains a regularly used procedure to remove fat cells, Vaser technology and the high definition technique can produce outstanding results for a selected group of patients. Just be sure to always work with a board certified plastic surgeon.
To learn more about this fat removal procedure and see if you’re a good candidate for high definition liposuction, we invite you to call and schedule a consultation with double board certified plastic surgeon Dr. David Sieber today.